Saturday, February 7, 2015

Using Google Presentation to Complicate Ideas about Heroes

Recently, a laptop cart was unearthed from the dark, mysterious depths of the farthest corner of the media center at my school.  The laptops came out of nowhere; I was shocked, especially because I thought such a find would spark excitement and chatter amongst teachers and fighting to be the first to reach the sign-up sheet.  This wasn't the case.  The only reason I found out about their existence is because I saw one of the security guards pushing the cart around and I inquired about his cargo.   For a school where the only available computer lab houses three rows of slow, outdated, incredibly unreliable computers, a laptop cart filled with a fairly new set of sleek HP computers changes everything (well, maybe...).

I have been struggling to come up a creative and innovative way of using technology in my classroom for the Tech Teach-In.  The discovery of the laptop cart at my school has created a number of possibilities for this lesson that didn't exist before.  It will no longer be a hassle and big ordeal for students to have the chance to use computers, and I am hoping that the internet connection will be much more reliable than students are used to in the computer lab.  The incorporation of technology in the classroom will be much more fluid.  I use Google Presentations frequently to guide and support my lessons, often documenting students' thoughts and questions in the presentation.  I have also had students set up Google accounts themselves, not only to use for the purposes of our class, but also to use professionally.  At the start of the term, one of the first things I had them do was create a slide in  a class Google Presentation about themselves (like Rory had us do in the fall).  This was a lengthy process because most of my students are nowhere near proficient at using computers, let alone navigating Google Drive.  Familiarizing students with Google Drive is one of my primary learning goals for this term, and because we have already spent a decent amount of time setting up their accounts and using Drive for their slides I am thinking that I want to use Google Drive for my technology teach-in.  Though, one other thought that has come up with the laptop cart is to use WordPress to introduce my students to the concept of blogging, particularly as a way for them to stay involved in the reading we do in class.

Within the next two weeks, we will be starting the novel Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston.  Prior to reading the novel, I will be introducing the pattern of the hero's journey and students will do some work thinking about the characteristics of heroes and what it means to be one.  I am thinking that I will utilize the practice students have had creating Google Presentation slides about themselves to create a slide about one of their heroes or a slide depicting their idea of a true hero.  Like I asked them to do in the slide they created about themselves, they would describe their idea of a hero using ten words, an image, and a quote that would represent what they think a hero should be.  Students would create the slide after we spend some time discussing and unpacking their initial ideas about heroes.  We will read at least one article that challenges the idea that heroes must be epic and godly, separate from normal men and women.  The presentation slide will be a formative assessment that will serve as evidence of how students' ideas about heroes are beginning to change or become more complicated.  

4 comments:

  1. Dang that's so exciting about the laptop cart (pretty bizarre too..). And I think it's great you have already had students working with Google Drive - hopefully they'll pick up tech literacy quickly, as you have them working with these programs more and more.

    I really like this idea of asking students to respond to a question in the form of 10 words, an image, and a quote. Seems to me like a less intimidating format than a paragraph, yet still an effective method for students to organize their thoughts. And I remember when we completed this assignment, it was really cool to see how clearly each other's personalities came through even through such a simple creation. So maybe this expressive quality to the assignment will motivate some buy-in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also echo Rachel’s thoughts on this. It’s great that you now have the opportunity to use a set of class laptops and Google Drive. After listening to Liz Kolb’s lecture, I agree to a certain extent that using technology for the sake of using technology is problematic. But, I think it’s absolutely essential for students to have a working knowledge of technology such as Google Drive and others because it will help them in the long run outside of formal education. So, while it may take time to set everything up, I would say that it will ultimately pay a ton of dividends for students.

    I think you have a great idea for a lesson here as well. The concept of the “hero” is something that is certainly relevant to students. I think most students have someone that they look up to and respect. It’s something they have prior knowledge of as well. I would claim that your assignment serves as an excellent and unique bridge to building more in-depth content knowledge about what constitutes a “hero.” Using Google Drive allows students see each other’s work, and students sometimes learn best from each other.

    Do you intend to have students present these projects informally like Rory had us do in our class? When they created a presentation about themselves was that successful? Would have students write a short essay about what they’ve learned about this whole learning process (the book, the slides, and the article)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha,
    I have no doubt that this will work, and I think Stephen's (implied) suggestion to have the kids talk through their slides is a good one.

    Suggestion: plan for a couple class periods and do some direct instruction on how to work with Google Slides, THEN have them add their content. Also, in this case an exemplar is critical.

    Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam!

    Sweet jams! Happy day! I'm so glad that you have newfound access to this laptop cart! The possibilities are endless now! I'm happy to see that you are taking swift action to put them to use.

    There are a couple of things that I like about your lesson: the first of these is that you have set up the goal of familiarizing your students with Google Drive. This tool appears o be something that has merit in a variety of contexts, and making sure that students feel comfortable using is is a very important thing indeed.

    The second thing that I like is that you plan to build on the knowledge that you have already begun working on with Google presentations.

    My only questions for you are: what other Google services might you be able to take advantage of in the near future? How can you use what you have already taught them about slides to help learn how to use other tools?

    I'm super pumped that you have laptops now!

    Cheers,

    Elliot

    ReplyDelete